I woke up at 6am this morning, determined to write this long over-due blog post. 3 hours later, I haven’t even started and I’m in tears, over who knows what? Perhaps it’s PMS, maybe I’m just overwhelmed with everything that has been happening lately, or maybe I just need a cleansing moment. Despite all of life’s challenges, the point of this blog post was to celebrate all the wonderful things that have happened in my life this past month. At the beginning of September, I set out to celebrate every day of my entire birthday month and accomplish several goals which I shared in my #ZaliwaZawadi #Zaobration blog post. This was the first time I was writing about myself in a while, and although I felt a little self-conscious about it, I felt strongly that I needed to just put myself out there and make a public declaration.
Looking back at September, I am even more convinced now about THE POWER OF DECLARATION! I may not have achieved all the goals I set for myself, but I certainly went above and beyond expectations in some areas. What was the reason for this? Because others felt touched, moved & inspired by the possibilities I was creating for myself, and my life, (Yes, this is Landmark Education language J) and wanted to contribute to my journey.
At the beginning of September, the idea of doing a video about my social enterprise ZeroByZawadi was non-existent. A brief conversation with a dear friend of mine Laura Rwiliriza @LRBalsera, resulted in her offering to make a film for me because she was inspired by what I was trying to build. Within no time, she had mobilized her film crew, scheduled the shoot, and we were on location for less than half a day. Then off she went to represent her film at the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF), during which time we stayed in communication. I told her I really wanted to launch the film as part of my month of #ZaliwaZawadi celebrations, and although she wasn’t certain it was humanly possible, given the fact that she’d be returning to Nairobi, the last week of September, she said she would let me know as soon as she could. Right before my birthday, on September 23rd, she confirmed that it would be possible. So believe it or not, within just one week, with ZERO budget, we managed to create ZeroByZawadi’s first ever #AfroZen event to launch the ZeroByZawadi video in Nairobi, on September 29th, 2012. I’ve shared the story behind this miraculous 1-week journey via curated tweets in this storify.
I’d like to take this opportunity to thank a few people who believed in, shared & contributed to the ZeroByZawadi vision these past few weeks. These people remind me every day that, “At ZERO Anything Is Possible”:
- Kawira Mwirichia – For her beautiful ZeroByZawadi poster & banner design.
- Laura Rwiliriza & the Purple Native Films Crew – God bless your work always.
- Fazilah Bazari – my yoga teacher in Nairobi & host of our first #AfroZen event.
- Holistic Community Kenya – for partnering with ZeroByZawadi.
- Reinhardt Kisalia & the Digital Divide Data team – for the PA System.
- Apondi Nyang’aya & Angela Wambui @MissKenyaUSA – for being amazing MC’s for the event.
- All our friends who helped promote the ZeroByZawadi video launch on facebook and twitter.
- Seth Mureithi of @AlcoveKenya for livestreaming the event.
- Michelle @Mugzik of Peppercorn catering for the delicious tuna dish, chicken salad, bruschetta, fruit tart, & fresh fruit juice.
- All the musicians who blessed us with beautiful music: Danson Kiundi @Heroz_revolt (keyboard); Peter Anyang’ Nyong’o Jr. @NY_echO (saxophone); Josea Sanaa @JoshuaSanaa (guitar).
- Team ZeroByZawadi: Subira, Lewis, Josea, Joyce & Kibali @KibaliMoreithi
- All the guests who joined us in person & virtually.
- Charlotte Hill O’Neal a.k.a Mama C for this beautiful video message from the United Africa Alliance Community Centre:
So What’s Next For ZeroByZawadi?
Watch our social media space via facebook & twitter for the following:
- Pictures from our first AfroZen event in Nairobi
- Video coverage from our first AfroZen event in Nairobi
- A free AfroZen Music Mix
- An online store for ZeroByZawadi’s yoga apparel (If you are in Kenya & would like to purchase any of our merchandise, please contact us)
- Plans for a possible #AfroZenKigali event at the end of November
- Plans for a possible #AfroZenSydney event at the beginning of November
Please also let us know what you think of the video and share it with others if you like it :-).